[CQ-Contest] US Zipcode Help Needed

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Wed Jan 21 13:58:27 EST 2009

The Zip Codes in the FCC database may or may not be useful for your
particular purpose. These are mailing addresses, not necessarily the
operating QTH of the station(s) in question. In addition there is a built-in
hysteresis with hams (and the general population) constantly moving about.

This became evident as I put together the tool we use in the Minnesota QSO
Party to forecast which rovers will be in each county, starting at what
time, and for what duration. I wanted to determine which counties were most
"rare", by ranking all 87 of them in my list from fewest to most HF licensed
hams.

The best that I can do was a "probability" of the number of amateurs living
within a specific county. The first realization is zip codes don't respect
county boundaries. I did find a marketing database I could extrapolate and
get a better "per county count." Another issue is a fellow may live in
Minneapolis (with that address and zip code in the FCC database) but operate
from his cabin 150 miles away.

So the answer is (as usual) "it depends."

73 de Bob - KØRC in CHS

P.S.'s:

The Minnesota QSO Party will be on the air Saturday, February 7, 2009. Rules
and stuff here:  www.w0aa.org

The MnQP mobile planner can be downloaded here:  http://tinyurl.com/a27mbk