[CQ-Contest] IARU Rules RE: Packet

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:39:47 PDT 2009

Hal Kennedy wrote:

> I could easily be mistaken, but I think IARU is the only, or one of the
> only contests that allows a SO to use either packet or SO2R but not both
> - which seems rather odd.  I wonder if that's on purpose, or an artifact
> of the rule making?  Not posting to stir up the packet debate of old,
> just looking for clarity going forward.

What ?!

I'm reading the rules at the official source:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2009/iaru.html :

4.1. Single Operator

    2. 4.1.2. One person performs all operating and logging functions.
    3. 4.1.3. Use of spotting nets, packet, or multi-channel decoders (such as
CW Skimmer) is not permitted. Single-operator stations that use spotting nets,
packet or multi-channel decoders will be reclassified to the Multi-operator,
Single Transmitter category.
    4. 4.1.4. All operators must observe the amateur radio regulations of their
country at all times.
    5. 4.1.5. Single operator stations are allowed only one transmitted signal
at any given time.

Where does it say that the use of packet is allowed for SO ? Where does it say
anything about SO2R ?

Just to be perfectly clear:
The use of packet by a single-operator places you in the Multi-operator, single
transmitter category. Period. End of discussion for 2009.

73,
Steve, N2IC