[CQ-Contest] Self spotting rationale

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Thu Jul 30 08:15:56 PDT 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Zoli Pitman HA1AG wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>> how
>> useful would the spotting network be during a contest if everyone
>> repeatedly spotted themselves non-stop for 48hrs?  It would be
>> chaos and
>> the cluster would probably fall over within minutes!
> this sounds like a good idea to me... even better if this code
> included
> randomized calls and frequencies.. :-)

Yikes! You've just described a small denial of service attack. It's
also the equivalent of jamming. Really bad idea, even to joke about.

In addition, the DX clusters are there for DX'ers. That they get
hijacked by contesters is one thing, but when we talk about posting
bogus info, or to bring them down, that's not a good thing.

-73 de Mike N3LI -