[CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule explained

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 13:50:09 PDT 2009

Thanks for the reply, Tree.  It clears it up, just a little.  I  understand
the idea about the multi transmitter, but, isn't the category MULTI  OP,
SINGLE TRANSMITTER anyway?  Still not sure how a 10 min rule would have
anything at all to do with stopping a cheater, using more than one rig.   The
class seems as cut and dried as QRP, LOW POWER, and HIGH POWER.

But, they are the rules, like it or not!

73- Chuck KI9A

In a message dated 7/30/2009 11:01:12 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
tree at kkn.net writes:

>  But, what is the idea behind the 10 min rule for M/S, anyway?  It's
still
> a single transmitter, just multiple operators.  What makes  this any
> different than a S/O making band  changes?
>
> Just wondering.  Seems to me like a  really silly rule...that's why I
need
> a decent explanation of  why.

Without the 10 minute rule - one can just use unlimited  transmitters and
operate like they were a full multi-multi.  The  intent of the 10 minute
rule (or a limited # of band changes/hour) is to  "enforce" the intent of
the category - which is that you have two stations  setup.

This is a necessary evil for multi-single or two  transmitter categories.

The recent DQs in the CQ WW were a result of  people who changed the times
in their log - so that it complied with the 10  minute rule - but not the
intent of the category.  They were  essentially unlimited multi-multis with
rubber clocks.

In the case  of single-ops - there is resistance towards limiting the
operator with  this rule.  It would basically prevent the practice of
QSYing  multipliers to different bands - and also second radio operation
where QSOs  are found on a second band while running on another band.

73  Tree  N6TR
tree at kkn.net
CQ-Contest  mailing  list
CQ-Contest at contesting.com