[CQ-Contest] Self spotting rationale

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 06:08:31 PDT 2009

Maybe you cannot overload the Internet, but what about overloading the
operators? Let's assume everyone is self-spotting and the spots are coming
across at a nice casual rate - about 4 a second. How are you going to keep
track of them? I surely wouldn't be able to.

Anyway, I thought that's why we call CQ in the first place. I'm sure someone
can write software that picks out the stations you haven't worked out of the
packet spots, go to that frequency and work them, tag the packet spots
coming in so that station worked is no longer displayed and go on to the
next one. But I myself wouldn't find that much fun. It would get boring
after the first 5 minutes.
Maybe we ought to just design stations that can do everything themselves and
just go and play golf while the automated stations work each other. Or not
even bother and just go and play golf.

73, Zack W9SZ