[CQ-Contest] 7040 as lower limit

Andrew ac6wi at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 04:43:39 PDT 2009

Dr. Lothar Wilke wrote:
> Hi Doug,
> this is the actuell IARU Region 1 bandplan:

<snip of bandplan>

> and WPX 2009 rules:
> III. Bands: The 1.8, 3.5, 7, 14, 21, and 28 MHz bands may be used. No WARC
> bands allowed. Observance of established band plans is strongly encouraged.
>
> May be in WW 2009 rules too?

Lothar,

The IARU Region 1 bandplan, whilst a good idea, is not legally binding
in the licence regulations of most (all?) countries within Region 1.
The WPX rule III you quote only says 'Observance of established band
plans is strongly encouraged".  It does not say it is mandatory.

As it stands, if someone operates below 7040 on SSB, they have not
violated the rules of their amateur licence or the rules of the contest
and have no reason not to sign the declaration in the WPX rules that
state "you have read and understood the rules of the contest and agree
to be bound by them, as well as all rules and regulations of your
country which pertain to amateur radio". Now, those who deliberately QRM
those operating SSB below 7040 _are_ violating the terms of their licence!

Doug asked "So which EU countries have definitively documented that the
lower limit on 40m is 7040?".  I can't think of any that have it as part
of their licensing regulations (as opposed to a 'gentleman's agreement').

Then again, this might all be a moot point now that we have an extended
band up to 7200 giving almost three times the bandwidth for SSB.

Vy 73,

Andrew AC6WI / GI0NWG