[CQ-Contest] RA3CO or "HK3AR"

David J. Sourdis hk1kxa at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 7 13:51:40 PDT 2009

Hello all.

I hope that the moderator will let this
  pass and I offer my apologies to all if I it looks like I use this channel to
  remove the dirt around this HK3AR issue, but there are many things that cannot
  be left unsaid, specially when some ill-intentioned comments are said by
  people who don't have the moral authority to say anything about it. I have
  read comments in some ham forums and I decided not to answer them, but I had
  enough. Please let this words on behalf of some HK hams be read by all.
  Everybody has the right to defend themselves.

Regarding visiting
  Colombia, I had no idea about Mr. Weil's travels and troubles with colombian
  hams. I must say that there´s always more than one version of every tale. I
  also understand it was a long time ago. Anyway, for a little more recent
  references and not half a century old news, we should ask K3ZO, N3JT or John
  J. Boucher whose callsign I've forgotten, he lived here during nine years, and many
  other hams who have visited SEVERAL TIMES HK land, what they think about
  it.

Images speak better than words, please watch this video about taking the risk of going to Colombia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgW8Y7F8DN8
key words: risk, Colombia, riesgo

Concerning the HK3AR issue I must say this:

I agree with the complaint filed to the
  Communications Ministry of Colombia and agree with the decision taken by this
  institution and also agree with the decision taken by the Contest Comitee. I
  don´t know about the variety of possible reasons, suggested by some people, that they had to do so. For me and many others it was an illegal operation, period. And it is
  incredible that some hams outside of HK try now to show that the bad guys
  of this "movie" are the ones who took the initiative to do what they
  righteously did and who were supported by many other hams in Colombia,
  including myself.

With my colleagues from Spain, the Torrent Contest
  Club, we worked that contest as M/S and HK3AR was the only one HK station we
  logged. When I learned that an illegal operation had taken place in
  Colombia  I felt ashamed, I felt like I couldn't look to the faces of my
  spanish contest mates because this had happened. And more because this
  affected our score and we were in a foto finish with another spanish M/S
  group, and the difference on scores were less than half a multiplier for the
  first place in Spain. So in my case, there is no jealousy, it is just a matter
  of doing things right and about not doing invalid multipliers in a contest
  because somebody with the help and support of others, pirated a callsign, that
  applies here too and it doesn't make me happy scorewise.

It is a matter
  of doing things right in a country were many of us are tired of the wrong
  doing, the corruption, and we dont want to look away anymore, even when this
  kind of attitude SOMETIMES can be very and totally hazardous to your health. We just try to put our grain of sand, or our two cents, to make
  this a better country, but some are afraid to take actions about this because
  it can be dangerous in a place where the voices who complain about wrong doing
  can be silenced by bullets or by others with obscure interests who try to
  ridiculize and calumniate these brave persons and deviate the public attention in other
  direction.

It is insulting for all of the more than 20 colombian hams
  who supported with their signature the complaint against A CASE OF ILLEGAL USE OF
  HAM RADIO IN COLOMBIA, that there's has been some comments in some internet
  ham pages propped by a group of hams, trying to change the subject. Trying to
  make us look like the bandits, like just a bunch of jealous and envious hams,
  give me a break!

So if there are individuals or groups that want to come to this country to
  support, or consider that is OK, breaking the law, if they come here to mock of
  and insult honest persons who try to do things right even when it can be
  dangerous in some cases. We don't want them here, and I guess that it would be the same feeling in any country.

David
  Sourdis
HK1KXA
EC5KXA