[CQ-Contest] Borrowing Callsigns

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML ar at dseven.org
Mon Jun 8 13:28:01 PDT 2009

To state this more specifically, in terms of part 97...

  * 97.7 states that there must be a control operator whenever a station
    is transmitting

  * 97.109(b) states that when a station is being locally controlled,
    the control operator must be at the control point

  * 97.9(a) states that any licensed operator can be a control operator
    with the privileges of the class of their license (not that of the
    station)

  * 97.105(b) states that the station must be operated within the
    privileges of the control operator

So, if you're hold a general class license, you can be the control
operator for someone else's station, but only with general class
privileges.

If an extra-class operator is also present, (s)he could be the control
operator, and you could operate with her/his privileges - you would be
an operator, but not the control operator, in that case.

The intent of this is in 97.105 - it the control operator is responsible
for ensuring that the station is being operated appropriately for the
privileges being used. If you don't have that class of license, you're
not qualified to do that.

     ~Iain / N6ML

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML wrote:

> David Levine wrote:
>> Let me ask the same question possibly a different way and provide the
>> answer I was previously given.
>>
>> If I am a tech or general class operator and I am operating on a team
>> such as our clubs' team like on Field Day. Can I could operate in the
>> Extra portion of the bands?
>
> Yes, if (and only if) an extra-class licensed control operator is
> also present.
>

>> I was previously told yes.
>
>> So if the above is correct, your question might need a bit more info
>> to properly answer.
>>
>> And I would ask another question to the group. If I am a guest
>> operator at say a superstation and I use the call of that superstation
>> and list myself as an operator, would I get Extra privileges?
>
> Yes, with the same stipulation as above.
>
>     ~Iain / N6ML
>

>> And in case anyone does care, I'm an extra class and used the above as
>> examples, though the answer to the Field Day question was previously
>> provided when I was a general class licensee.
>>
>> David - K2DSL
>>

>> On 6/8/09, Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tom Osborne wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> If you don't  have a Extra class license, can you 'borrow' an Extra
>>> class
>>> call, say for WPX?  73
>>> Tom W7WHY
>>>

>>> Tom -
>>>
>>> As you know from the FCC's Part 97 rules, which cover the Amateur Radio
>>> Service, the callsign is granted to the STATION.  The operating
>>> privilege is granted to the Operator license .
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Steve