[CQ-Contest] Borrowing Callsign/Control Operator

Michael Keane K1MK k1mk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 8 18:46:37 PDT 2009

On 6/8/2009 5:48 PM, kr2q at optimum.net wrote:

> I would focus on the word IMMEDIATE.  To my mind, and to my experience, that
> means that the control op is RIGHT THERE, AT THE RIG.  [caps for emphasis, not
> yelling] Not just "on site" and not just "in the room."

The rule says,  "regardless of the type of control".

Wouldn't it be kind of hard to be "right there at the rig" when
operating under remote control?

The control operator is still required to "ensure the immediate proper
operation of the station" even when the station is operating under
automatic control and the control operator is not present at a control
point.

If you try to force the word "immediate" to take on a spatial meaning
rather than a temporal one, then that part of the rule fails to make
sense for types of control other than local control.

The definition of local control is: "[t]he use of a control operator who
directly manipulates the operating adjustments in the station to achieve
compliance with the FCC Rules."

Obviously the control operator must be "right there at the rig" to make
the necessary adjustments. But, how many and how often do "operating
adjustments" need to be made when running?

On CW at least, most modern rigs will not let one transmit out of band.
Letting an under-licensed operator tune around is a non-issue. So,  it
pretty much comes down to not letting the under-licensed operator touch
the tuning of the amps.

Admittedly on phone, tuning around and other adjustments like mic gain
are slightly more problematical.

73,
Mike K1MK