[CQ-Contest] Borrowing Callsigns

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 9 05:33:47 PDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 10:06 PM, Rex Lint wrote:

> Now, THAT IS an very interesting question,,
> He can not be the control op of all 5 stations at once,,, it's
> physically impossible for him to be at every operating station at all
> times. to make sure they are operating legally.
>
> Wow I never thought of that one... If you abide by the FCC rules,, to
> have extra operating privileges there must be one at all 5 stations.
> WOW, I bet 90% plus field day operations are not legal.

Lessee, I bet I can interpret this stricter that youze guys.

Given that immediate means exactly immediate, this means that the
control Op must:

(humor alert)

Turn on the radio

Tune the radio

Press the PTT button, or maintain constant physical contact with the
key.

Operate some manner of device to ensure that the station is shut down
immediately if the other op operates outside of legality.

This can be a Taser, or perhaps a small caliber pistol. We only want
to return the station to  compliance, not shoot our dinner - so just
wing-em, no body shots.

But there is a fly in this ointment, given that there is an
unavoidable delay between our finding that the station is not being
run within the law, and stopping that infraction, It would probably
take as many as 3 -5 seconds to discover and terminate the operations
or operator, so  I would declare that it is not possible to comply
immediately, and that the control op/operator system is contradictory
in nature, therefore cannot happen, and anyone doing so is in
violation of the rules as they are written.

Turn your licenses -in all of ya!

-73 de Mike N3LI -