[CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories

Doug Grant dougk1dg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:18:12 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM, David Gilbert<xdavid at cis-broadband.com> wrote:

> I personally think this is a very bold and interesting new category, but I
> also think it is a mistake to allow those scores to be added to the club
> scores.  The way Rule 10 is currently stated,  a small but well funded club
> could set up remote and robotic stations anywhere in the world for use by
> its members and totally inflate their club score.  Yes, those members
> individually would all have to enter in the Xtreme category, but the club
> itself would be able to compete against other clubs with no such technology.
>
> Why was it necessary to do that?

Hi, Dave -

This was added during the review of the rules, when a member of the
CQWW Committee noted that many of the possible entrants in the new
categories are members of contest clubs, and might be discouraged from
trying them if their score would not count for their club.

So we chose to allow the Xtreme scores to count for clubs.

Since under the existing rules, DXpeditions count for club scores, one
might suggest that a small but wealthy club might field enough
DXpeditions to beat their competitors, but so far that hasn't
happened.

It would be very interesting if the proliferation of remote and
robotic Xtreme stations made a difference in the club scores, but I
doubt it will happen soon.

We will, of course, be watching for abusive behavior relating to these
new categories, and take whatever steps are necessary to amend the
rules.

73,

Doug K1DG