[CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

VE2TZT ve2tzt at arrl.net
Tue Jun 16 14:16:57 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Sandy Taylor" <ve4xt at mts.net>

>> We're forgetting that the whole greater purpose of Amateur Radio is the
> development of new communications technology, not the preservation of the
> status quo to protect the sensibilities of nostalgia. And the purpose of
> communications is to communicate as effectively and efficiently as
> possible.
> 73,kelly
> Ve4xt

In Amateur Radio you have the word "radio"
You are confusing radio-communications and communications.
Your assertion should be right if you had wrotten "development of new
radio-communication technology..."
But the purpose of ''Amateur Radio'' has not to be extended to ''Amateur
Communication'' which includes ''Amateur Internet''.
Otherwise, why don't we extend amateur radio to Amateur Cell phones or
Amateur Telephone ?

According to your logic, as a Cellphone is far more efficient than an HF
radio, CQ magazine could sponsorise a Cellphone contest as an Amateur Radio
activity...

73's
Gilles, VE2TZT