[CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Jun 16 13:11:14 PDT 2009

A few years ago, several of us proposed a test of something called a
24-Hour Challenge, which we proposed to run concurrently with a major
DX contest, relying on the official log-checking to determine,
separately, winners of a 24-hour category.  As a part of this, we did
a survey on CQ-Contest, which attempted to determine whether the
availability of such a category would help, hurt or have little
effect on participation.  Granting the inherent limitations of this
sort of survey, the balance of responses suggested it would help, so
we went ahead with publicizing the idea.

To my great surprise, the response from the grandees of the contest
community amounted to a public lynching.  The climax was my being
angrily upbraided by one such grandee at Dayton for "trying to ruin
my contest."

I kind of lost my stomach for the idea after a few of those, so it
never happened.  Stan's suggestion indicates that the idea continues
to have some appeal.  Most of it was documented on this reflector at
the time, if anyone's interested now.

73, Pete N4ZR