[CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

Craig Smith craig at powersmith.net
Tue Jun 16 14:06:36 PDT 2009

AMEN, Stan.

48 hours is much too long for me also.  Sweepstakes, at 24 hours, is the longest contest I make any serious entry in, other than the 160 meter contests where you get a natural long sleep break during the day.  And the 12 hour NAQP is my favorite, due largely to the 12 hour time limit and 100 W power limit.

Contesting is fun, but at some point the fun is overwhelmed by the unpleasantness of trying to stay awake.  As I get older that time is getting shorter.

The DX contests would receive many more entries, including mine, if there were categories for 12 and 24 hour operation with low power and wire antennas.   This is a win-win situation.  More fun and competition for the small guy like me and MANY more stations for the big guys to work.

Craig D. Smith   AC0DS