[CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Tue Jun 16 18:03:06 PDT 2009

Randy Wrote:

Once you start making limited time categories, you also have to define them.  Is it 12 hours consecutive?  Any 12 hours?  If so, then what is an off time?  It is not as simple as it may first seem.

Stan writes:

As I see it and as I said in the original post, the off times need to be few and long.  If there was a 24 hour category, I would have a maximum of four off times and a minimum of 6 hours for each.  That allows someone to strategize off times, go to church with the family and out to eat, watch the Dallas Cowboys on TV Sunday afternoon and compete with others who want to do the same thing.  Overall I think it would create more enthusiasm for the sport.

Stan, K5GO