[CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Tue Jun 16 19:04:33 PDT 2009

Well, I see your point Sandy.

Here's the thing, though (IMHO, of course).

It's one thing to set up & remotely operate, if you can manage the expense
and other headaches, a station at some point on the globe far away -- if all
of your RF operating equipment is in one place (and I'm thinking the "1000
yard circle or one property lot" situation here).  We have many operators
who for various reasons are not able to have a home station, and this gives
them a chance to participate.

But it's another thing to scatter remote transceivers (either owned by one
station or shared) at various points around the globe and operate them.
Sure, it's a great stunt, if you can pull it off.  But it puts others at a
distinct disadvantage, in that the remote operator can shift to a
transceiver on a given band where the band is open, whereas the casual
operator must deal with the propagation and related circumstances at their
home location.

Now yes, you can argue that since only the Extreme operators compete against
each other, this shouldn't affect others scores.  But I would disagree.  If
you as an Extreme operator is making contacts (by shifting transmitters
based on propagation, QRM, or whatever) that you wouldn't otherwise make,
you are affecting those in the other operating classes, by giving some of
them contacts that they would not make.  Since it is unlikely that you would
work everyone "equally," you skew the contacts made (and thus the final
score) of the other operators.

And -- they may not know that you are in the Extreme class until well after
the contest is over.  So some poor schmuck hears your signal (or is alerted
to it by spotting or Skimmer or wherever), or hears someone work you, and
points there antenna to where they think you are -- not where your remote
transmitter is located -- and then can't work you, or is wondering if the
other guy is up to something, or... you get the idea.

Nor would I discount the affects of the Law(s) of Unforseen Consequences.
As many others have pointed out, many casual operators are QRV in the major
contests not to win, but to find and work rare or rarer DXCC entities.
Imagine the frustration of thinking you've worked someone in Pottsylvania,
fought the corrupt postal system of Fearless Leader to get that sought after
card... and then find out it doesn't count because the op was sitting home
back in Frost Bite Falls, with remote transmitters in Pottsylvania,
Mooslyvania, and other points on the globe.

So, outside of the small handful of people who can actually afford to do
this, exactly who does this benefit again?

73