[CQ-Contest] Extreme vs. Time Limited

K0HB kzerohb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:40:16 PDT 2009

> Why is there such a strong push for this "Extreme" category, on the [as
> yet
> unproven] grounds that it will improve the radio art and increase
> participation by others.

This may sound strange coming from the original "boy and his radio"......

§97.1 Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur
radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following
principles:

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute
to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which
provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases
of the art.

I see DXing and Contesting (and maybe the satcomm guys) as the only
significant remaining mainstream "interest groups" in amateur radio which we
can point to as "advancing the art of radio".  I think we do well to
encourage and nurture an atmosphere where these groups continue to incubate
new technologies and techniques, and this "extreme contester" provides a
playing space where that can be realized in a manner complementary to
contesting as a whole.  I don't expect to play in that space, but I'll be
proud to point to it when someone asks "what is Amateur Radio doing to
fulfill it's mandate of "advancing the art".

73, de Hans, K0HB
http://k0hb.spaces.live.com/
Search my log at http://dx.qsl.net/cgi-bin/logform.cgi?k0hb