[CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Jun 19 11:28:47 PDT 2009

I would expect if a 6-hour category was added, another increase in activity
would be realized. This is about the length of the State QSO Parties that
have become very popular. A shorter time period offers an opportunity for
people who have other things to do in their life. I am one of them.

Regarding pumping up the numbers in the smaller contests before implementing
time-based categories for the big ones, this just doesn't make sense to me.
Here's why. CQWW and ARRL DX are the contests with the potential for the
most "fun", no matter whether you spend one hour chasing "new ones" or
participate for a Top-Ten spot. These contests already have the allure of
rare locations being activated. If a contesting team has funds for one
DXpedition each year, which contest are they going to pick? Most likely one
of the BIG ones.

Adding time-based categories to a contest doesn't change the event. It
provides an opportunity for the time-restricted contester to earn a piece of
paper for the wall. It also provides recognition from the contest sponsor
that a level of proficiency has been achieved. Showing "hours operated" on
the 3830 list just doesn't compare.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN