[CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Sun Jun 21 11:44:16 PDT 2009

I agree that a fixed length sub-category might encourage this type of
operation. One the other hand, if the "Best of X hours" (sliding window?)
concept is used, the operator can concentrate on making contacts for any
period of time and then choose his/her best X hours to submit after the
contest is over.

It's a tough call trying to anticipate human nature and I can't offer proof
that a "Best of" category would produce the expected results. It's only a
discussion topic at this point, among many other ideas.

This idea just popped into my head... It might be an interesting project to
examine older logs, apply this "Best of" concept, and see what results are
obtained. For example, did the Top Ten winners also produce the Top Ten
"Burst" rates? When were the highest rates obtained? What bands? What
regions? What were the solar conditions at those times? Etc... The SH5 log
analyzer shows some of this information for a single log, but not a wider
comparative view.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN