[CQ-Contest] The Old WoodPecker

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Sun Jun 21 21:07:06 PDT 2009

K4JRB added:

>I know Bret VR2BG yold me its not effective but report all OTR receptions in
>the amateur bands to the ARRL Interference Desk.  They do relay all reports
>along to the US State Dept.  As a matter of fact report all non amateur
>activity to them including taxis on 24 mhz and fishermen on the low end of
>20.

ARRL should be passing those reports to the FCC, who then considers
if these are intruders or cause actual harmful interference to amateurs
& if so  then should take the matter up directly with the telecom authority
of the suspected source per provisions of the ITU.

Though in some countries, all engagement of other countries falls to
another part of the gov't & perhaps they don't think this so important to
pursue given other matters going on between the two countries.  And
on the other side, a similar bit of gov't may be involved before the matter
is referred to its telecom authority.

So effectiveness as measured by results may not be much & is likely
to take time before can be seen.  In the meantime, effectiveness as
judged by how the system is handling the reports is not possible as
we (I'm still licensed in USA & am an ARRL member) have no visibility
of what is going on.

The alternative - reporting directly to your telecom authority - however
I can see does get results in other countries & I know from doing so
here in VR2 that at least I can tell what they've done as a result of my
reports.

So I think it better to go directly to your telecom authority.  After all,
that's the way the system was meant to work.  Otherwise the lack of
visibility will have the effect of discouraging participation & the problem
can only get worse (which is what it seemed like out here before I went
QRT).

73, ex-VR2BG/p.