[CQ-Contest] Summary of how to improve contesting

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 03:50:47 PDT 2009

>"I wonder if seeing your call in print is a subtle motivator to new
>contesters."

Yes.

On a snowy morning in December, 1963, I retrieved the January 1964 issue of
QST from our mailbox and nearly got run down crossing the road while eagerly
searching for the "Operating News" column, with high claimed scores for the
October CW CD Party, my first. I'd seen my call sign, WN9AUM, in the Novice
Roundup results earlier in 1963, with 36 whole QSOs, but I expected to be in
the CD Party High Claimed Scores on my first venture. At age 14.

... And there it was, WA9AUM, 113, 280 points. I'd even beat K2EIU/5 (now
N6RO), who probably operated about five hours to my 20. K9DHN is there, too,
K0AD in a former life.

In those days, there was no handicapping of contest listings (at least in
the CD Parties) by category ... no HP/LP/QRP, no assisted, no single band,
no limited time operating, no "tribander and wires" class. Just single op
and multi op. Call it "open field contesting." There were no certificates.

It was a pure and simple time, when contesters were contesters, not constant
whiners.

Jim Cain, K1TN
At the K1TN Superstation
Pomona, NJ