[CQ-Contest] cluster connection problems

K1TTT K1TTT at ARRL.NET
Sun Mar 8 15:18:40 PDT 2009

Recently I have seen too many users connecting, reconnecting without
disconnecting, disconnecting and reconnecting, every minute or two.
Sometimes there will be several of these going at once, and some of them
have set scripts that do sh/dx/50 or more every time they connect.  This
uses up system resources and can slow down the system for everyone,
especially if you do some kind of automatic script that hits the spot or
other databases.

On my node I have started summarily locking out users that I see doing that
over and over again.  For a while I tried sending talk to them first, to the
point of sending 20 or so copies of the same talk every time they connected,
and never got a response, so I gave that up and now just lock them out.
Some of them that have been locked out have been hitting my node for weeks
every couple minutes getting a rejection notice that says to stop connecting
and to contact me along with my email address... none of them has.

I would like to know what type of software people are using that doesn't
show them these messages and keeps trying to connect.  Obviously if they
haven't seen my message and aren't missing getting spots they must be
connecting to more than one node.

Some of the calls that I have locked out recently for this are:

*ai4ww
bu2aq
bv4ap
bv4vt
g4ufu
ik2ycw
jn1glb
jr5iah
jy4ci
k2bet
k3mq
k3zxl
k5vjz
kk6aw
n5kdv
oh4mdy
rx9jm
rx9jm/9
sm2liy
sp1mwn
sp5ebh
sp5nrm
sv1ebn
ua9jll
*w0ib
w1rkt
w3bw
w4tbb
*wn1m

*=continues to hit the lockout message, others probably are also at other
times, these are ones I see during the contest today.

please pass this on to any dx or other club reflectors that may have users
doing this.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net