[CQ-Contest] RDXC Log Checking

Tonno Vahk tonno.vahk at mail.ee
Tue Mar 10 13:02:39 PDT 2009

Hi Bob,

I don't agree that ignoring weak stations and CQing instead is a fruitful
strategy for an ordinary station in any contest. You have the luxury to do
that from DX location with constant pileup maybe but not from US or EU. It's
pretty simple - you either are able to get the call or not and in any
contest you should make sure you get the call right if you want to have
positive Expected Value out of it. Of course you can get away with logging
rubbish in WPX and not being penalized and I don't like that about WPX at
all.

Even if the caller is weak you can almost always take 30 seconds or even a
minute trying to get it right and you can always ask for confirmation to be
sure you have it. If not then not, too bad. If you are even 80% sure in the
call then you can log it as you have positive EV despite 3 possible
penalties. I never ditch any caller in any contest even if he is almost
unreadable. It just does not make sense to waste QSOs in our location. Lazy
ops lose.

I think RDXC has the best log checking and best designed penalty system for
sure. Being strict it does only good to the general quality of contests and
the hobby and by all means, if the QSO is not mutually correct then why
credit it.

As mentioned before, the fact the you can get away (and you have motivation
to do it) in CQWW without correcting your call even when you hear that the
DX got one character wrong is not nice.

I have been heavily penalized in RDXC by having Russian stations copy Victor
as W as it is their nature to do so. Well, I can't complain and have to
figure out how to get my call through to them and it is really my problem as
well not only theirs.

See you in RDXC and please give me a call, even if you are a small pistol!:)

73
Tonno
ES5TV