[CQ-Contest] Meta-debate

Rich K2WR k2wr at njdxa.org
Sat Mar 14 06:22:14 PDT 2009

As some with interests in communication in general, beyond ham radio contesting, may have noticed, my (infrequent) comments have tended to focus on the debate about the debate, i.e. the "metadebate", rather than the debate itself.  Responses have tended to be private, and generally too subtle for general release (by apparent sound judgement of those responding).

However, I'd like to call attention to the following declaration.  Most will recognize it:

"Anyone that believes otherwise is a disgrace to amateur radio. PERIOD!"

So, taken literally, someone may fall into the disgrace category, presumably deserving of residence in the 5th or 6th level of Inferno, based on a belief.  It's shocking to imagine that someone I respect and regard as a credit to amateur radio might instead be a disgrace based on a belief that hasn't even been expressed!

May I request a moratorium on similar pronouncements?  I don't have a right to demand anything.  It is just a request.  Such statements are extreme, dogmatic, grandiose, inflexible, and display a lack of desire to consider alternate views (including, presumably, this one).

I'm just seeking to elevate the level of civility of the debate.  That's all.

Rich K2WR