[CQ-Contest] short off times

Paul T. Antos wb2abd at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 17 06:59:50 PDT 2009

NG7Z wrote:

" My concern has always been, what does the contest
checking software "think" when it sees a string of closely spaced qso's
followed by a 5 or 10 or even 15 min interlude and then followed by an hour
of closely spaced qso's. Is there a penalty of some sort? Comparing my UBN
reports and final published scores to my claimed scores would suggest there
is not. So perhaps the log checking software assumes the gaps to be
listening time?? "

In my case, the interpretation would be that nobody is hearing me, the dog needed to be walked ( dog does not understand "contest"), the fire needs more wood or there was a telephone call that had to be answered .... in that order. I don't get suckered into mult.- pileup shennanigans anymore, but that's another "short break" circumstance as far as log time is concerned. I've never seen a penalty for it, outside of losing Q's.

Paul WB2ABD