[CQ-Contest] Do serial numbers in contests hinder participation?

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 23 13:35:03 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

This weekend there were two fairly active state QSO parties: Oklahoma
and Virginia.  I made over 80 QSOs with OK stations, but less than a
dozen with VA.  Why?  VA required a serial number, I was logging in my
every-day logging program, and had no real way to keep track the
serial numbers I sent (short of scribbling them on a piece of paper).

So while I'm in favor of a contest exchange that isn't necessarily
pre-determined (i.e. CQ Zone), using such an exchange hindered my
participation.

Any thoughts?

I remember seeing something in the NY QSO Party comments about serial
numbers.  Note that two of the most popular state QSO parties (CA and
PA) both use serial numbers in the exchange.

I'm not lobbying for change, but just wondering how much use of serial
numbers impact casual participation in a contest.  Please don't get
started about using checksums based on what the other guy sent!  :-)

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C/Ø, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us