[CQ-Contest] multi-contesting

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 23 15:09:07 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Michael Coslo <mjc5 at psu.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>
>> W0QE proposed a standard set of abbreviations for the MARAC contest,
>> but they have never been adopted by state QSO parties, where the state
>> is implied, and therefore isn't necessary in the abbreviation (except
>> for multi-state QSO parties, like NEQP and 7QP).
>
> IIRC, one of the big reasons that it wasn't adopted was that it didn't
> do much for the state parties, made the entry a little more
> complicated - it is much easier to have a typo

Actually, one of things Larry did was to "encode" the abbreviations in
such a way that a typo wouldn't usually alias to another (different)
abbreviation.  Sort of like built-in error checking.

I agree that the expansion doesn't add value to localized QSO parties.

73- Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C/Ø, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us