[CQ-Contest] On-line WPX certificates

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Mon May 18 04:17:46 PDT 2009

Hi Randy: On-line certificates -- great idea!

I don't see the "CERT link," at the URL you provided, though.

What's next? Plaques and trophies on demand? Can holograms be e-mailed?

Those with full bore Adobe Acrobat will be able to edit and enhance their certificates with things like "K1TN, High Single Operator Low Power CW, Milky Way Galaxy. (I know this would go a long way in enhancing my fragile self esteem!)

Your post doesn't say, in so many words, that certificates will no longer be sent from WPX HQ. Is this the case? Certainly seems logical to me, and "green," too.

You and your helpers have enhanced the WPX experience through your web efforts and I think it will encourage participation and log entries.

WPX CW is the best weekend of the year for a pee wee station like mine so I'll try to put in a good effort. It will be interesting to gauge 2009 participation in one of those rare years when the contest isn't held on Memorial Day weekend in the Colonies.

I wish I knew a local from whom I could borrow a prefix with more dB than "K2." Maybe CQ could open a "Prefix Bank" of people willing to rent their obscure prefixes for the weekend.

Speaking of the Colonies, the term "bank holiday" is British, I know, but it has negative connotations for those of us who had parents who survived the Great Depression. (That would be the 1930s for you young people on the reflector.)

Jim Cain, K1TN/2