[CQ-Contest] staying awake

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Sat May 23 03:58:19 PDT 2009

I just love anecdotal evidence (oxymoron?).

I think being able to stay awake is mostly a function of band conditions and determination.
When either is "high/good," it is much easier to stay awake.  When both are favorable, all
the better for staying awake.

While "being in shape" and "eating" are wonderful goals for life, unless you are grossly out of
shape (morbidly obese) or have some chronic disease condition (CHF, Diabetes, etc), I really
don't see how these would correlate to staying awake.  The military provides great examples of
both, yet they  spend millions figuring out how to stay alert after long periods of wakefulness.
For me, that says nutrition and physical fitness are not the answer.

Of course, the best solution to "staying awake" is to sleep and have your 2nd op fill in for you,
yet claim single op.  I'm sure there are some experts out there who can elaborate.

de Doug KR2Q