[CQ-Contest] The damn robot won

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed May 27 13:34:52 PDT 2009

As one of those who worked on improving Skimmer's spotting accuracy
last summer, after the first pileup competition showed Skimmer
finishing tied for 67th, winning by 10 QSOs in a competition normally
settled by one or 2 Qs is sweet vindication.  We didn't do anything
to speed up how fast Skimmer recognizes calls (in fact we slowed it
down), concentrating instead on avoiding busted calls.  I guess (but
don't know) that busted calls are subtracted from good calls to
arrive at a score, which would explain why last year was so bad.

It would be interesting to hear more from the organizers, and
also/particularly from the person who drove Skimmer to this win.  I'm
especially curious which validation level was used - I'm betting on "Paranoid."

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com