[CQ-Contest] The damn robot won

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu May 28 10:52:41 PDT 2009

I'm still hoping that one of the guys who was involved will tell us
how the Skimmer number was arrived at, and particularly what
validation level was used.  With 3 KHz of audio from a typical audio
tape, Skimmer would "hear" much the same muddle as a human.  If a
second signal appears on exactly (or close to) the same frequency, it
gets as confused as we do.  But in any case, nobody is suggesting
that a human mind can do what a properly implemented Skimmer can do,
even in a 3 KHz bandwidth.

73, Pete N4ZR