[CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:48:09 PST 2009

Paul O'Kane wrote:

>> People use packet for various reasons.  Some are looking for new DXCC
>> counters.  Some are trying to maximize the score they contribute to their
>> club.  Some just use it to have fun.
>
> Yes - the use of non amateur-radio communications technologies may be quite
> OK for people who want to have fun, or increase their DXCC counters, but it
> is inappropriate at all times for contesters who submit logs.

Being the devil's advocate, your argument of "non amateur-radio communications"
is off-base.

Step back in time to the early 90's. No public internet back then. Packet was in
full swing, with VHF packet clusters in every USA metropolitan area. Many of the
clusters were linked together, using VHF, UHF and even HF links. Looked just
like the DX spotting we currently have, and was 100% amateur-radio
communications technology.

73,
Steve, N2IC