[CQ-Contest] 40m "new" approach to staying in the band?

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:05:07 PST 2009

I would like to clarify the statement I made earlier:

"Frankly, I don't care what sideband the rest of the 40 meter users use."

First, let me apologize to anyone who may have taken offense from this. I did
not wish to imply that either I, or other contesters, should run ram-shod over
the non-contesters using 40 meters.

When I wrote this, I was thinking about all of the weekday nets and ragchews on
40 SSB. Contest activities have no impact on these users, whether they use LSB
or USB.

As to contest weekends on 40 SSB, there are several variations:

1) Contests with relatively light activity, such as most state QSO parties. The
effect on non-contest uses is relatively small. It shouldn't matter whether
contesters use LSB or USB.

2) Contests with heavy activity, such as CQWW Phone or SS Phone. Currently, the
effect on non-contest users during many hours of the day is severe. The effect
on non-contesters would continue to be severe, whether or not contesters use LSB
or USB.

I hope I have clarified any misunderstanding, and not dug myself in deeper :).

73,
Steve, N2IC