[CQ-Contest] Deleted ARRL sections

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Thu Nov 5 12:45:16 PST 2009

     Some trivia in advance of the ARRL Sweepstakes this month...

     Probably everyone is familiar with the idea of deleted DXCC entities -
countries that no longer exist but did at some point in the past during
the DXCC program (for example, Czechoslovakia).  In working on records for
some of the ARRL contests that use sections for multipliers and awards,
I've come across three deleted ARRL sections.  They are:

Washington (WA): deleted 6 February 1989
  The section was split into Eastern Washington (EWA) and Western Washington
  (WWA), principally to facilitate emergency communications on the two
  separate sides of the Cascade Mountains, which can be impassable in winter.

Eastern Florida (EFL) and Western Florida (WFL): deleted 1 January 1973
  The ARRL field organization was reorganized in Florida by changing the two
  sections to Northern Florida (NFL) and Southern Florida (SFL).  One of
  the primary reasons for the change was to better balance the overall
  population of the state - Western Florida, which was primarily just the
  panhandle region of the state, had many fewer hams than Eastern Florida.

Now, my question to the really old-timers on the list is - are there others?
Were states like Pennsylvania and Massachusetts at one point single sections,
like Washington?

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com