[CQ-Contest] 40m "new" approach to staying in the band?

David Kopacz david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com
Thu Nov 5 14:12:48 PST 2009

Sylvan,

I agree. I have witnessed several operators at 6Y1V working below the US
band and logging any US station that happens by the frequency. Most of
us do not work them or condone this practice. When I catch an operator
doing this I politely ask them to stop, remove the illegal QSO from the
log and refrain from doing it again. A simple "You're out of band OM" is
appropriate. Most operators either move on or at say "thank you" and
then move on.

In 4 years of operating at 6Y1V I have had only one operator argue the
point that it's not our problem and we should work them anyway. His main
argument was the fact that we can't possibly know every countries band
plan, licensing restrictions, or operators privileges, so it's not our
responsibility.

My response was simple. When we DO KNOW they are operating outside of
their band or license class we have an obligation not to work them. He
lost that argument!

David ~ KY1V

And how do we solve the problem of dozens of stateside contestants that
were
working DX stations like 3DA0WW around 14135 and lower in the CQWW SSB?
In
these cases we know that the "wrong" VFO is not the problem. What is
bewildering is why DX stations who know they are in the foreign phone
band
work stateside stations when they know they shouldn't be in that part of
the
band? Shouldn't both stations be DQ'd?

... Sylvan

Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX