[CQ-Contest] Russian Speaking UK Ham Needed

David Kopacz david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com
Mon Nov 9 16:09:41 PST 2009

As I prepare for the upcoming CQWW CW contest, I can't help but to sit
back in amazement thinking about how far Amateur Radio has progressed
since the long past days of the Iron Curtain.

It seems like only yesterday we were lucky to get a signal report, name
and city from of a QSO with a Russian station and here I am today
purchasing round trip airfare for a young amateur radio operator deep in
the heart of Asiatic Russia to join us in Jamaica for a radio contest!
In just two weeks I am going to host an international team of young ham
operators including three from the ex Soviet Union! WOW! (one from
Denmark and one from Spain)

Now, I need a bit of help!

Alex, RV9LM, will be flying from Tyumen, through Moscow, to London. Once
in London, he will have a fairly long layover of 10 to 12 hours and to
make things more complicated, he needs to change airports.

I am looking for a local UK ham, preferably one that speaks Russian, to
meet young Alexander at the airport on November 24th, entertain him for
several hours and transport him to Virgin Airlines for his departure to
Montego Bay. Then, on or about December 2nd, he will arrive from Montego
Bay and once again he will need to be transported between airports.

I can probably find a professional service to do this, however, I
believe things will be far more comforting for Alex if he knew a local
ham was going to meet him at the airport and could speak his native
language. He is quite anxious and very apprehensive as he has never
flown nor travelled outside of Russia.

If you, or someone you know, lives in our near London and speaks
Russian, I could really use your assistance.

If you are interested in helping, please contact me ASAP.

David ~ KY1V