[CQ-Contest] Digital Mode One - was SS Musings...

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Nov 10 10:50:12 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve London" <n2icarrl at gmail.com>

> I think of CW as a digital mode, just like RTTY.

Sure it's a digital mode, but only when when you treat it
that way.

CW operators decode CW by ear, and that's what distinguishes
them from digital operators.  If you didn't copy it by ear,
you can call it what you like but you can't call it a CW QSO.

I suggest DM1 (Digital Mode One) might be a suitable description.
Then we could all aspire to DM1 endorsements for DXCC.

73,
Paul EI5DI

ps - since there are quite a lot of digital modes, perhaps
we should plan for the future and call it DM01?