[CQ-Contest] SS Musings: Sending the CQer's callsign back

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 17:23:16 PST 2009

Since it is *not* a required part of the exchange in SS, I only send the CQers callsign back when I think there may be some doubt in who
I'm sending to. Several times when S&Ping on 20 there were multiple stations "sharing" the same frequency and I would
send HISCALL+EXCH. But on 80, and most of the time on 40, when I replied to someone's CQ there was no doubt who I
was answering.

When I was running on on 40 or 80 and others sent back my call, I felt it was just wasting my time
- to quote KH6IJ: "I already know my call." In log checking, odds are if he blows my call he gets the busted call penalty, not me.

In a DX contest, lot more freq "sharing" going on and I can see it more but not
so much in SS.

73 John K3TN