[CQ-Contest] The Stew Perry TopBand DX CHallenge #14 v2

Lew Sayre w7ew at arrl.net
Thu Nov 12 21:12:58 PST 2009

Low Band Lovers, Fiddlers and Toleraters,
     December 26, 2009 is drawing closer. Bad weather is here. Static
crashes deafen the receivers. All this portends
that The Stew Perry Top Band DX Challenge will be here before you know it.
While I write this a 6W/ is working the
masses up from 1822.5. I hear him and the happy notes from the stations who
have worked him. All is well.
     The Boring Amateur Radio Club invites you to participate in the most
avante garde contest available on the bands
to date. We don't use old fashioned multipliers like countries in our
scoring mnemonic. We use the distance between
the two communicating stations to award points. The further away the other
station is from you, the more points you get!
What a concept...A DX contest that actually uses distance to figure out your
score! Other radical concepts are utilized
by our scoring device which may be studied vigorously by driving your
computer to:
   http://jzap.com/k7rat/stew.html
   Another radical concept is to have the radio contesters decide what RF
feats should warrant a plaque.  The Radio Giants
listed below have put the paltry $55 where their ideals are and sponsored a
plaque or two.  These people and Institutions
should be thanked profusely whenever you see them.  Study closely the
sponsored plaques.  There may be one that you
need to win... or this may awaken in you the notion of a category that you
need to sponsor. If so let me know.
Donor                           Category

KL7RA                         Highest number of QSO's
F8BPN                         Top Score Low Power Europe
N7UA                           Top Score High Power
K6ND                           K6SE Memorial- Top Score World
K7FL                            Top Score 100% Search and Pounce
N7KQ                           Top Score Central/South America
N0TT                            Top Score Low Power Minnesota
DX Engineering              Top Score USA
DX Engineering              Top Score Hi-Power Europe
KH6LC                          VK-ZL CHallenge- Top Score VK/ZL
W0UCE                         Antenna/Power Limited *
N5IA                             Most Grids Worked
KR2Q                           "Golden Log" Top # of Q's without a mistake
KB7Q                           High Score QRP
VK6VZ                          Max # of points made with stations in S.
Hemisphere**
AE6RF                          Top Score Low Power W6
K6DBG                          Top Score QRP West of Mississippi River
W2GD Contest Team      Top Score Multi World
TF3KX                            Aurora Borealis-Top Score > 60deg N.
geomagnetic lat
K0PK                             Top Score QRP Minnesota

              *-Must use single wire for Tx & Rx and <100W
             **-Winner gets Official Royal Flying Doctors Service of
Australia hat rather than plaque/winner must
                 operate from N. hemisphere
     27 out of the 30 2008 plaques have been sent out First Class mail to
last years' winners. The last 3 plaques will be
mailed out when the feeble plaquemaker is discharged from the local
hospital. Plaque fumes, alcohol and H1N1 is not
a good combination.  Again, if you want to sponsor a plaque email me at my
address below.
     So get busy and put up that wire you've been "Stewing" about.  Listen
to the great conditions that the band is showing.
Practice up on your Morse if you're a tad rusty. Ask a local VHF person what
your grid square is. Plan ahead by fulfilling
all obligations just before Dec. 26 so you can come out and play with the
rest of the Top Band kids during The Stew Perry
Top Band DX Challenge sponsored by the many Committees of The Boring Amateur
Radio Club.
    73 and I remain,
    Lew    W7EW/W7AT
    Boring Amateur Radio Club sub-committee for Plaques and Pontification
    w7ew at arrl.net