[CQ-Contest] How unethical is this?

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:12:17 PST 2009

First, it's a good thing to see that we're actually having discussions about contest ethics - that's a Good Thing.

> Could I suggest that they get on when I am likely to be on, and listen
> for me?  How far do you think I could go, ethically, in getting them
> to work me?

I don't see any problem with encouraging them to get on and give you a call - along with anybody else they hear.  As long as you don't say something so specific that you've made an exact schedule or don't encourage them to work ONLY you, then by all means, get them on the air!  I'd say something like, "You can probably find me on 20 meter phone on Sunday afternoon calling CQ" and let them figure it out from there.  If you were contact number 1 and they went on to make 10 or 20 QSOs, wouldn't that be great?

73, Ward N0AX