[CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules

hank.k8dd hank.k8dd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 21:44:19 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mikael Larsmark <mike at sm3wmv.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I think these new rules really, really destroy the M/S and M/2 category
> in WPX. Now you remove the fun of having a bunch of ops running the
> contest together. These new rules remove the point of having mult radios
> which means less operating time for the ops and less fun. A lot of the
> fun in WPX is the big number of mults that can be worked on the mult radios.
>
> I don't really see the point in this? Why try to encourage people to
> build smaller stations? It is not hard anymore to build a M/S station
> with multiple radios, even if the 2nd radio is limited with maybe just
> wire antennas it is still adding a lot of fun to the contest.
>
> The M/2 category doesn't replace the old M/S category either, since you
> still can't have "mult" only dedicated radios. Why not just leave the
> categories as they are and instead add a M/S limited category in that
> case with the above rules?
>
> If this is added to avoid rubber clocking and parallel CQs which does
> occur it's the wrong way to go. I guess you need to remove SO2R
> possibility as single op soon to, since that can also be
> abused...*shakes my head*
>
> I was looking forward to do M/S in WPX but not anymore...
>
> Mike, SM2WMV (SJ2W)
> http://www.sj2w.se

I agree with Mike.
M/S - the old CQ style - was fun, and took some thought and strategy.
M/S - the new CQ style - well, it's turned it into an ARRL style M/S
class with prefix's for a mult.  Not as much thought and strategy
needed.

Sometimes I think it's all about the lack of propagation the past few
years.  Do something to keep the short towers, verticals and wires
happy.

I hope that CQ WW isn't next!  That would really be the pits.

K8DD