[CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX

W7VJ w7vj at millerisar.com
Tue Nov 17 18:14:27 PST 2009

After considering pros and cons of this, I have to side with those who
oppose.

We have done the WPX CW as a serious M/S, so the beer drinking contest
scenario Doug suggests does not apply.  Yes, the options are multi-ops with
one rig or move to M/2.  While not adverse to M/2, it's a bigger step up in
station design considerations than M/S and would place us in a potentially
uncompetitive category.  Again, disagree with the natural progression to M/2
Doug suggests.  That a serious SOAB can out Q us in part because  of
arbitrary band change restrictions, is also not an appealing prospect - it
takes a bit of effort to assemble a team prepare a station, and then watch a
SOAB blow you away because of the flexibility in band changes.

Then, why stop at the WPX... No I am not into domino theories, but it begs
the question.  The M/S category has worked because it allows for a bit more
complexity and consideration of multi-operating factors, without the full
scale deployment of a near M/M operation.  Apply to WW, and the fun factor
goes down precipitously.

One of the comments made was along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it."  Randy justifies the basis for the change as "The new rules will
establish a true single-transmitter category that is limited to 8 band
changes per hour."  I cannot help wonder why is this necessary?  What
conditions have suggested the need for a change.  Perhaps if CQ can explain
why the change is needed, I might be more inclined to support it.  Simply
creating a "true single-transmitter category" is not enough.  If this is the
aim, make it another category and leave the current M/S or whatever it would
morph into, a separate category.

Andrew
W7VJ

Random thoughts......

1.  This will have no impact on the number of entrants compared to "before."

There has not
been a group of potential entrants NOT participating because, "Gosh, they
just
don't have
a category for exactly me."

2.  "Serious" M/S guys from the past will likely migrate to M2.  M/S
entrants
from the past
who never used 2 rigs anyway will see essentially no change.

3.  So now, a serious SOAB SO2R entrant will be able to "out score" a M/S
because they will
have more flexibility in terms of "no time constraints."  Find a mult on a
nearly dead 10m?
No problem for the SO...just go there and work it without concern.  For the
M/S, well, now it
uses up a band change...for one qso.

4.  The "new" M/S is a wonderful category for "a bunch of guys drinking beer

who also want
to operate the contest" instead of (potentially) vice-versa.

5.  Well, at least now the category name will actually MAKES SENSE.

de Doug KR2Q

W7VJ

   Mitglied