[CQ-Contest] the "problem" with M/S in WPX

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Wed Nov 18 04:37:33 PST 2009

First, let's talk about how scores are generated:

You need QSO's (points) and Mults.  DUH?  Not really....

QSOs: More QSO's = more points.  You always want to be on the band where you can
maximize your QSO's.

Mults:
In CQWW in Oct and Nov, MULTS (other than monoband) are had by working lots of Z and C on
all 6 bands.  You MUST change bands and REWORK the same mults to build a big mult (score).

In WPX, mults only count once.  There is NO motivation to change bands to work mults, unless
you happen to find a "new one" on a different band.  But you can easily work tons of mults by
staying on a single band!  Somewhere in WPX Legend (maybe someone can find the year or
citation), I seem to recall that K1KI was monoband 20 and actually had a bigger score than
the All-band entry.  Think about that!  Zero reason to change bands to work mults!

Others have (correctly) cited this as the reason why WPX is a (nearly) pure running contest.
Very different than CQWW (that also explains, at least for me), the WHY is this change being
implemented (or is preliminary) and WHY would the two contests possibly diverge in the rules.

Still others have cited how "boring" it is for the other ops at WPX M/S after the first 12 and
especially after the 1st 24 hours...like no qso's per hour (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).  Yup, they are
right.  In fact, odds are good that the "new mults" they worked in the first 24 hours using
that "2nd radio" are reworked with the "main" radio in the next 24 hours....making their
effort essentially worthless (other than QSO points).

So...how do you craft a M/S for WPX?  Well, first of all, there is no longer any constraint
about "mults."  You are free to work anything (makes sense).  So why is there a time
limit at all then?  All you need is the "only one signal at a time" rule, right?  Wrong?  How
would the sponsor validate that?  By adding in the "8 changes" constraint, the sponsor
helps to ensure compliance with the "only one signal at a time" limit.

So this new rule will result in a GENUINE M/S:  The station is operated almost like a single
op, but permits multiple operators.  Yes, there is the "crippling" effect of the 8 changes
constraint compared to a SOAB entrant, but I think that is necessary in order to help to
ensure compliance (not a M/M w/o interlocks in disguise).

So now after some thought, I feel that I understand more about this preliminary category.
I still think "it won't matter" in terms of participation (entrants), but at least I can see
where Randy might be coming from.

de Doug KR2Q