[CQ-Contest] Fwd: Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules

kenlow7 at aol.com kenlow7 at aol.com
Wed Nov 18 20:32:02 PST 2009

> If this is added to avoid rubber clocking and parallel CQs which does
 occur it's the wrong way to go. I guess you need to remove SO2R
 possibility as single op soon to, since that can also be
 abused...*shakes my head*

 I was looking forward to do M/S in WPX but not anymore...

 Mike, SM2WMV (SJ2W)
Not sure I agree.   Any casual reader of this reflector in the last
ear would conclude the primary objective in contest rule changes is
make it easier to verify participants scores' (i.e. eliminate the
1% of rule-benders that spoil the fun for everyone else).
Clearly the proposed WPX rule changes to M/S category make it easier
or log-checkers to verify scores:  keep sequential serial numbers
egardless of band, limit band changes to 8/hour ... cross-checking logs
ecomes a snap.
That seems to be the main point.   As long as overall participation
n the WPX does not decline as a result (and based on the postings so
ar, it seems the risk is low), then the rule change won't hurt.   Also
he risk to old 'record' scores is low - it would be more difficult to
reak old WPX M/S records under the new rules, not less.  And many of
he 'cool tricks' to win M/S are still available under the new rules
lockouts, multiple ops copying CW signals at the same time), so there
s still incentive for the 'serious' M/S teams to participate.
But my question is:  Noting that the top All-Band scores in WPX seem to
egularly hit 1,000 prefixes, and assuming those ops all use SO2R, then
hat percentage of those 1,000 prefixes that were logged on the 2nd
adio using S&P would NOT have been logged on the run radio over the 48-hour
eriod eventually anyway?  5pct?  10pct?   Many 3830 comments from SS CW
a few weeks ago sent the consistent message that getting a clean sweep
equired CQ'ing and being called by the last 3-4 needed mults - i.e. the
iggest signals had a clear advantage.   Why is WPX any different?
I have always looked at WPX as primarily a 'run-run-run' contest where
he loudest stations usually win and operator skill takes a back seat
o S-units, since the QSO count is a bigger determinant of the final
core than the multiplier.
Ken KE3X