[CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits this weekend)

Mike/Shelley Ritz micritz at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 09:44:22 PST 2009

I'd like to make a point that a lot of calls today do not qualify as vanity calls either, despite what the FCC calls them. If your name is Abel B. Charlie, and you request the call of K1ABC, that to me qualifies as a "vanity" call.

When I moved from 6 land to 7 land a couple of years ago all Extra 1X2s and 2X1s were long gone. I had the choice of keeping my existing 2X1 6 land call (KW6C), or settling for an Advanced class 2X2. I applied for every 1X2 that became available over 8 months and on the 12th try I finally won one of the lotteries. Was I happy to get it? You bet I was as happy as some of you guys that got your N or K 1X2 back in 1977.

My old "rehashed" callsign has history that has been traced back to at least 1921 as 7VO, (which itself had at least two holders), and I am the 5th holder of W7VO since 1928, when the Ws were added. If that is "re-hashed" and therefore less desireable, then so be it. The torch is being carried on.

I am sorry, but if any of you "original holders" move and want to keep a call that reflects your district (a pet peeve of mine....), then you will have the same story I do.

Happy Thanksgiving to all;

Mike, W7VO