[CQ-Contest] K3IXD Obituary

Ken Claerbout k4zw at comcast.net
Mon Oct 26 05:32:32 PDT 2009

  The following was relayed to me by Bob W8ZA on Friday evening.  My
apologies for not getting this out sooner.  I was at NR4M's this weekend for
WW SSB.
  While I'm at this, we have taken steps to ensure the families get a chance
to see comments posted by the entire amateur community on sites such as
this, qrz.com, and e-ham.  I'm sure it's a comfort to them.

Ken K4ZW

Edwin Fisher Steeble, 68, of Summerville, the husband of Judith Steeble,
died in a private plane crash on Wednesday, October 21, 2009.

A Funeral Mass will be held on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 10 a.m. at St.
Theresa the Little Flower Catholic Church, Summerville.  Interment will be
private.

A gathering of family and friends will be held on Sunday evening, October
25, 2009 from 6 until 8 p.m. at James A. Dyal Funeral Home, 303 South Main
Street, Summerville.

Ed was born on January 3, 1941 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  He was the
son of Louise Fisher Steeble who resides in Southampton, Pennsylvania and
the late Edwin Paist Steeble.  He graduated from Albright College in
Reading, Pennsylvania. Ed had a forty year career in the field of computer
security at the National Security Agency (NSA) at Ft. George G. Meade,
Maryland.  For several years prior to his retirement Ed was the NSA Liaison
Officer to the National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) in
Gaithersburg, Maryland.

Ed was a founder of the Low Country Contest Club, served as the Treasurer of
the Trident Amateur Radio Club, and was a lifelong member of the American
Radio Relay League (ARRL).  For many years he was an active member of the
Potomac Valley Radio Club (PVRC), an organization of amateur radio
enthusiasts in the mid-Atlantic states.  Ed greatly enjoyed creating an
interest in amateur radio in young people and was a mentor of the Amateur
Radio Club at Dubose Middle School in Summerville. In addition to his love
of amateur radio, Ed enjoyed traveling all over the world with his wife and
spending time with his family which frequently vacationed together on Cape
Cod.  Prior to their retirement to Summerville in 2003, the Steebles were
long-time residents of Glenwood, Maryland.

In addition to his wife and mother, Ed's immediate survivors include his
son, Edwin Mitchell (Ted) Steeble of Queenstown, Maryland; his daughter and
son-in-law, Alison Steeble Bounds and Joseph A. (Alec) Bounds of Roswell,
Georgia and their son, Joseph Wyatt Bounds; his brother and sister-in-law
Robert and Susan Steeble of Baltimore, Maryland and their children, Diana
Steeble of Seattle, Washington, and Andrew Steeble of Baltimore, Maryland.
Ed was predeceased by his granddaughter, Meredith Fisher Bounds.

In lieu of flowers, donations in Ed's memory may be made to the ARRL,
www.arrl.org, (click on "Donate to ARRL" and then select "Education and
Technology Program Fund"), 225 Main Street, Newington, CT 06111 Attn: Mary
Hobart; or to Mepkin Abbey, www.mepkinabbey.org, (click on "Participate"
then "Make a Donation"), 1098 Mepkin Abbey Road, Moncks Corner, SC 29461.

A memorial message may be written to the family by visiting our website at
www.jamesadyal.com

ARRANGEMENTS BY JAMES A. DYAL FUNERAL HOME, 303 SOUTH MAIN STREET,
SUMMERVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA.