[CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 02:31:39 PDT 2009

Someone already gave you the higher is better and "if money is no object" pointers. If money *is* an object, another way to go is the 600w MFJ/Ameritron ALS-600 and the 600w MFJ autotuner. You lose 3-4db but save a lot of money for casual contesting. The down side is if you turn it on you are in the high-power category even though your power ain't so high. I've been using that setup this year (well, with the legal limit MFJ autotuner) with wire antennas, and only used the amp for the bigger contests.

For DXing, it puts you nicely above all the other 100 watters but for contesting you will still wait in line, though I've found that calling/timing skill still is worth several db - a lot of the packet putout chasers are easy to beat in pileups even when they are running full power and lots of aluminum.

73 John K3TN