[CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days

David J. Sourdis hk1kxa at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 06:39:33 PDT 2009

At the QSO rates when contesting from HK was not practical to use the dupe sheet during the contest. My first big log, 1300+ Qs, it took me one week to sort the dupes out, taking the first QSO and looking for it all the way down to the end of those handwritten papers. Next, go to the 2nd QSO and repeat, dumb way to do it. Next test was almost 2000 QSO, so I decided to use a giant Dupe Sheet on an A1 size paper (that is the same size of 2 rows by 4 columns of letter size A4's or 22" x 34") to clean my log after the contest, of course.

I developed the skill of being able to send CW with my left hand while writing a different thing on the log at the same time with my right hand. Now you just press F1 or F5 or ENTER to send while you grab and munch a sandwich. That was another privilege for the CW op only; eating or drinking while contesting/QSOing, not anymore, now we have voice keying with recorded messages.

73

David
HK1KXA
EC5KXA