[CQ-Contest] Techniques of Ye Olden Days -the first computer duped and scored entry

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 9 02:07:04 PDT 2009

1959?  OMG!

I still remember the first ever contest which I entered in 1958 (CQ WW
SSB?) and, after it was over, the endless typing of the log with every
entry starting with 10/25/58 (and variants for the following days).  The
pain of doing this was so intense that, when writing this, I didn't have
to consult any old records to come up with the date - it's emblazoned on
my memory due to the constant repetition of typing it.

Why type the date on every line?  I knew nothing about contesting and,
being young and naive, figured if I didn't show the date for a
particular Q it wouldn't count.

Hey, apart from being young and ignorant, I must be a natural as I won
it for my call area.  Not too hard in 1958, though, when your call is VE8FO.

73, Jim	VE7FO