[CQ-Contest] Voice files

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Sep 12 15:22:22 PDT 2009

I expended quite a lot of effort with a sound editor making sure my
recorded voice files matched my normal microphone voice (while
transmitting into a dummy load and listening on a second rig) for
loudness, tone, pace, etc.  It always throws me off during S&P when I
call a station and he comes back with a different sounding voice ... and
that's even from the same person since the voice recording on some rigs
is pretty bad.  Sometimes it's so bad it''s like another station jumping
in trying to work me, which is what it's going to sound like if you use
someone else's voice files.  I've even heard entire pileups stop calling
while they try to figure out who's what.

My recommendation is to record your own files.

73,
Dave   AB7E